If you want to stay at home and stay fit, it is possible! You don’t have to subscribe to the gym and buy sports clothes or expensive equipment.
The importance of exercise
Regular exercise improves our body’s functioning, including increasing insulin sensitivity which means insulin can be used more effectively to control blood sugar. This, in turn, will make you stronger and more flexible while also helping you maintain weight and a healthy heart.
Around 4-5 times a week for 30 minutes is a good start with full-body workouts such as aerobics for better results.
Sports at home
The first step would be to discuss with your doctor before starting any exercise routine. If you have never exercised before, start slowly. Check your blood sugar before, at rest, and after exercise, especially when you try a new type of exercise. This is to determine how the exercise affects your blood sugar levels. In addition to drinking water, also prepare healthy snacks in case your blood sugar drops dramatically.
Here are tips for starting a regular exercise at home:
- Warm-up for 5 minutes. You can try low-intensity dance movements.
- Begin moving. Add movements such as arm muscle exercises, rowing movements and line up in place for 5 minutes.
- For the next 5 minutes, try to run around an area, or running in place or jumping jacks.
- At this stage, move faster. For 2 minutes, run in place faster while listening to your favourite face-paced songs. You can skip this step for a few weeks if you just started exercising regularly.
- Ease into slow motion. Back to running in a place with medium speed for 5 minutes.
- It’s time to switch to strength training; you can try 20 times push-ups on the wall, or 20 times rowing in a sitting position, or 20 times a half squat (you can use the bench as a tool).
Tips to make exercising at home more exciting
- A list of songs with high beats can give you the motivation to go through all the motions to finish.
- Exercise while watching your favourite TV programmes or movies
- Try different movements every day to avoid boredom.
As it turns out, moving actively with regular exercise can be that simple. It is about putting the effort and taking the time to treat your body well.